Witchford parish council have agreed a number of traffic calming measures.
On the whole these measures all seem very cycle friendly, extending the 30 speed limit and adding a 40 limit on the approaches to the village as well as adding marked cycle lanes at the two main junctions on Main Street.
It’s not clear from the description what the two ‘chicane and traffic island’ features will entail exactly, hopefully not a pinch point squeezing cyclists and cars together.
The proposed features are:
- 40mph sign from the A142 roundabout towards the village
- rumble strips before the gates leading into the village
- move the 30mph sign to the gates, including an additional lampost if necessary
- chicane and traffic island on Ely Road leading into the village
- marked parking zone outside the terraced houses at the east end of the village
- road colouring with red cycle lane on Main Street at Grunty Fen junction
- extend footway for 45m along Grunty Fen on west side to Highway’s Department standards, taking into account householders’ views at entrances to houses
- continue 1m footway along Grunty Fen to Old Scenes Drove to road planings specification
- extend 30mph sign on Grunty Fen Road
- introduce 40mph limit on Grunty Fen Road on approach to village
- complete paving to entrance to Manor Court Road
- road coloured with red cycle lane on Main Street at junction with Common Road
- chicane and traffic island at entrance to village on Sutton Road; possibly white line central island with no light
- after road re-surfacing or top-dressing, to not replace white lines unless where legally necessary
- retain bus zone outside school and ‘School Ahead’ road markings
More details here: http://www.witchford.org.uk/traffic.html